Council #5811 History
The Knights of Columbus Pope John XXII Council #5811 was formed in February of 1966 at Christ The King Church in Pleasant Hill, CA. Since that time, the Council has expanded to include parishioners of St. Stephens parish in Walnut Creek and St. Catherine of Siena parish in Martinez.
Through the years the council has become involved in many ministries and activities at Christ the King. We are members of the School Advisory Board, the Parish Council, liturgy planning committee, ushers, Eucharistic ministers, lectors, St. Vincent DePaul Society. Additionally, the council actively supports CTK School and Religious Education activities, the CTK Youth Ministry, and sponsors Cub Scout Pack 282. We also host pancake breakfasts after Mass, Easter egg hunts, Christmas parties for the parish children and assist with the CYO Crab Feed.
Though membership is limited to Catholic men, the Knights of Columbus is a family-oriented organization. Many of our activities and events involve the family and the parish as a whole, and long-lasting friendships develop through participation in the Knights.
Please note that the Knights of Columbus Council #5811 is not a non-profit organization. Your membership dues and donations are not tax deductible.
Knights of Columbus History
Through the foresight and leadership of Father McGivney, and the sacrifice and dedication of those early Knights, and the millions of their brother who have followed in their footsteps, the Knights of Columbus would become the world's foremost Catholic fraternal benefit society, one that has helped millions of Catholic families grow in their faith and defend their beliefs. It has made its members better husbands, fathers, sons, and citizens. It has helped families obtain economic security and stability through the Knights' life insurance program. It has built Catholic communities, fed the poor and defended the vulnerable. It has helped to renovate the Vatican and bring the Pope to the world.
Love of Church and Country
During the early years of World War II, Canadian Knights set up similar soldiers' welfare centers in Canada. The U.S. Knights were the first national organization to sponsor a blood donor program, and numerous councils led war bond drives in support of the war effort. Thousands of Knights were killed in action during the war.
During the Cold War, Supreme Knight John E. Swift oversaw the Order's varied responses to the Communist threat, as the Knights operated speakers' bureaus, funded anti-Communist advertisements and radio addresses, and published pro-freedom pamphlets. In 1954, the Knights of Columbus led the effort to officially include the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag, a crusade that resulted in federal legislation signed by U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
In 1957, the Knights of Columbus donated a $1 million, 329-foot bell tower to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC—a tower that became known as "the Knights' Tower." The Order has since donated a 56-bell carillon to the Shrine and provided funding for its operation.
During the 1960s and 1970s, decades of degeneration and social chaos, the Knights of Columbus, behind Supreme Knight John McDevitt and current Supreme Knight Virgil C. Dechant, stood as a tower amidst societal crisis to promote racial equality and love of country. Against a tide of dissension, the Order championed Church teaching on divorce, birth control, abortion, and pornography.